Athletics is an important part of the academic experience at Kalamazoo College. We invite alumni, parents, and other fans to share their Hornet pride and cheer on our teams. Tailgating allows an opportunity for fellowship and fun as part of field sport activities.
Tailgating is defined as parking and consuming food and beverages outside the sports event area. This policy establishes guidelines that allow for the safe enjoyment of tailgating for Kalamazoo College field sports and is consistent with MIAA policies and expectations.
Individuals attending events at Kalamazoo College are expected to conduct themselves in a manner respectful of the nature and character of the college. Persons acting in a disruptive, disrespectful, or disorderly manner may be asked to leave the premises or be subject to arrest. Students may also be charged with a violation of the Student Code of Conduct (http://reason.kzoo.edu/studev/stuconduct/). Those participating in tailgating are expected to adhere to the following:
Locations and Hours
- Tailgating is permitted only in the athletic field parking lot. This lot is located at the southern end of the complex, off of W. Michigan Ave.
- The parking lot opens for tailgating two hours before the start of all games and closes one hour after the conclusion of games.
- Ticket booths and the stadium open two hours before the start of games.
- No portable restrooms will be available at the tailgating sites.
- To ensure a fun and enjoyable tailgating experience, all participants must abide by the law.
- Tailgating is not permitted during the game or at half time.
- No cups or containers other than clear, empty water bottles to be filled inside the complex are allowed in the stadium.
- Pets are not permitted within the facility with the exception of service pets for handicap patrons only.
- Open flames, including fire pits and charcoal grills, are prohibited. Propane grills are allowed.
- All entrances and traffic lanes must remain clear at all times.
- RV’s/oversize vehicles are not allowed in the parking lots.
Alcohol will be permitted at tailgating, within the following parameters:
- Serving alcohol to or consumption of alcohol by minors (those under 21 years of age) is a violation of state law (refer to state statutes for a complete explanation of Michigan laws) and College policy. Anyone under the age of 21 found to be drinking will be required to leave the premises and may be charged with a Minor in Possession (MIP). Kalamazoo College students under the age of 21 will be charged with a violation of the Student Code of Conduct.
- Alcoholic beverages are limited to single-serving non-glass containers. No common sources are permitted, e.g. kegs, beer balls, or other large quantity containers.
- Individuals consuming alcohol may be asked by security officers to provide legal identification and proof of age as part of monitoring the tailgating area.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages outside of tailgating areas is prohibited. Alcohol is not allowed inside the Athletic Field Complex.